The master’s program “Arabic Language and Literature” is a comprehensive educational package in line with the regulations and decisions made by the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology of Iran. Specialized education in Arabic language and literature is offered to the students. Since many resources of Islamic sciences are in Arabic, proficiency in Arabic can effectively help with learning and propagating Islamic teachings. Thus, dedicated study of Arabic language and literature is necessary.
A main goal of this program is to train instructors of Arabic language and literature for undergraduate levels of seminaries and universities abroad. Another objective pursued in this program is training researchers and religious preachers, expert in the literature of religious scriptures, especially the Qur’an.
Graduates of this program can practice as researchers and instructors of Arabic literature. Having mastered the Arabic language, they can also benefit societies through propagation of Islamic teachings and culture.
Holding a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent is sufficient for enrollment in this program. The previous degree of the applicant must be verified by the consulate of Iran in the issuing country. Also, matching the applicants’ previous field of study with the current program is not necessary. Upon establishing the applicants’ scholarly competency and the committee’s agreement, the applicants are eligible to study in this program regardless of their previous field of study. Previous publications including books, research papers, and journal articles can positively influence the committee’s judgment.
The master’s program of “Arabic Language and Literature” takes 2 years, which equals 4 academic semesters; each semester consists of 16 weeks. Every one-unit class requires one hour of instruction per week. In case, the department decides that extra time is needed for a student to pass the prerequisites or finish the thesis, at most 2 extra semesters will be added.
The master’s program “Arabic Language and Literature” includes 64 credits; 32 credits in core courses, 32 credits in prerequisites. Also, the thesis is worth 4 credits. The students are required to pass all the core courses and the thesis. The number of prerequisite courses depends on the student’s bachelor’s degree and is at the discretion of the department.
Courses such as “Advanced literature”, “Comparative literature”, “Modern literature”, “History of literature”, “Philology”, “Text analysis”, “Literary criticism”, and “Rhetorical studies” are among the core courses covered in Arabic Language and Literature. Courses such as “Jurisprudence”, “Principles of Islamic jurisprudence”, “Rhetorical sciences”, “Vocabularies”, “Advanced linguistics”, and “Arabic literature” are included in the prerequisites.
- Total cost of the course for Iranian students who are admitted through the national entrance exam or internal university exam (2021-2022): 18 million tomans (The fee covers the student’s educational costs and does not include living expenses such as food and accommodations.
- Total cost of the course for Iranian students who are admitted through the national entrance exam or internal university exam (2021-2022): 4 thousand dollars (The fee covers the student’s educational costs and does not include living expenses such as food and accommodations.
The applicants must submit the following items to apply to the on-campus master’s programs of the University of Religions and Denominations:
- A completed application form.
- An electronic copy of the passport or a valid residence permit.
- An electronic copy of the high school diploma and bachelor’s degree or their equivalent and a certified Persian, English, or Arabic translation of the transcripts.
- The original high school diploma and bachelor’s degree or their equivalent and a certified Persian, English, or Arabic translation of the transcripts.
- One recently taken photo of the applicant, size 30x40mm.
- Applicant’s CV indicating education and work experience (optional).
By clicking on the “Apply now” button next to each program, you will be transferred to the registration portal, where you can upload and submit your application documents. Your application will not be complete until all the required items are submitted.