The research-only PhD program of “History of Islam” is a comprehensive educational package in line with the regulations and decisions made by the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology of Iran. This program is categorized as one of the branches of the field “History”, in which events, thoughts, and other aspects of Islamic history are taught and reviewed. Historiography is a significant feature in Islamic history and civilization. It is rooted both in the historical perspective of Quranic verses and in the inextricable link between theological and jurisprudential issues and historical data. The doctoral program of “History of Islam” tries to study and analyze the emergence and development of the Shiite Islam and other events related to the Shiite Muslims, the social, political, and cultural interactions of the Shiite with the followers of other Islamic sects and other religions.
Regarding the research-only PhD programs, the students are admitted after their proposals are reviewed and accepted. Then, they work on their thesis under the supervision of their advisers. This stage can be performed on campus or remotely depending on the project and at the discretion of the adviser.
The graduates of this field will be able to both teach at academic and educational institutes, and carry out research and review on specific studies of Islamic history. In addition, they are prepared to defend Islam and answer related questions and doubts.
Holding a master’s degree or an equivalent is sufficient for enrollment in this program. The previous degree of the applicant must be verified by the consulate of Iran in the issuing country. Also, matching the applicants’ previous field of study with the current program is not necessary. Upon establishing the applicants’ scholarly competency and the committee’s agreement, the applicants are eligible to study in this program regardless of their previous field of study. Previous publications including books, research papers, and journal articles can positively influence the committee’s judgment.
- Total cost of the course for Iranian students who are admitted through the national entrance exam or internal university exam (2021-2022): 60 thousand dollars (The fee covers the student’s educational costs and does not include living expenses such as food and accommodations.
The applicants must submit the following documents to apply for the PhD programs (research-only) at the University of Religions and Denominations:
- A completed application form.
- An electronic copy of the passport or a valid residence permit (for the on-campus students).
- An electronic copy of the bachelor’s and master’s degree or their equivalent and a certified Persian, English, or Arabic translation of the transcripts.
- A recently taken photo of the applicant, size 30x40mm.
- Applicant’s CV, indicating education and work experience.
By clicking on the “Apply now” button next to each program, you will be transferred to the registration portal, where you can upload and submit your application documents. Your application will not be complete until all the required items are submitted.