The master’s program of “History of Islam” is a comprehensive educational package in line with the regulations and decisions made by the Ministry of Science, Research, and Technology of Iran. This program focuses on the history of Islam and other related areas. Scholarly, just, unbiased, and yet critical knowledge of the Islamic history can familiarize one with the world of religion, and the understanding of its impression and its influence on man’s life. Also, this knowledge provides tools for confronting anti-spirituality and apostasy. Learning about different facets of the history of Islam can illustrate the strengths and weaknesses of the religious people, and guide the followers of religions toward the pathology of faith and purifying the religious outcomes.
A main goal of this program is to educate sophisticated scholars and researchers in various aspects of history of Islam. The graduates of this program will be able to discuss with the scholars and followers of other religions as experts in history of Islam. They can also train experts in promoting Islam and practicing cultural affairs in Iranian centers for culture, education, and Islamic promotion.
Holding a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent is sufficient for enrollment in this program. The previous degree of the applicant must be verified by the consulate of Iran in the issuing country. Also, matching the applicants’ previous field of study with the current program is not necessary. Upon establishing the applicants’ scholarly competency and the committee’s agreement, the applicants are eligible to study in this program regardless of their previous field of study. Previous publications including books, research papers, and journal articles can positively influence the committee’s judgment.
The master’s degree in “History of Islam” takes 2 years and is accomplished in 4 academic semesters; each semester lasts for 16 weeks. Every one-unit class requires one hour of instruction per week. In case the department decides that extra time is needed for a student to pass the prerequisites or finish the thesis, at most 2 extra semesters will be added. This master’s program includes 44 units: 28 units of core courses, 12 units of prerequisites, and 4 units for the thesis. The students are required to pass all the core courses and the thesis. However, the department will decide on the number of prerequisites to be taken, depending on the student’s undergraduate field of study.
Some of the core courses, taught in “History of Islam” are as follows: “history of the prophet (PBHU)”, “sira of Twelve Imams of Shiite Islam”, “history of the Umayyad dynasty”, “the history of the Abbasid dynasty”, “the history of Shiite Islam”, “the history of Islamic changes in the north Africa and al-Andalus”, and “the history of Islamic changes during the Ottoman empire”. The following courses are also taught as prerequisites: “history in the Quran”, “historical geography of Islamic lands”, and “the philosophy of history”.
- Total cost of the course for Iranian students who are admitted through the national entrance exam or internal university exam (2021-2022): 18 million tomans (The fee covers the student’s educational costs and does not include living expenses such as food and accommodations.
- Total cost of the course for Iranian students who are admitted through the national entrance exam or internal university exam (2021-2022): 4 thousand dollars (The fee covers the student’s educational costs and does not include living expenses such as food and accommodations.
The applicants must submit the following items to apply to the on-campus master’s programs of the University of Religions and Denominations:
- A completed application form.
- An electronic copy of the passport or a valid residence permit.
- An electronic copy of the high school diploma and bachelor’s degree or their equivalent and a certified Persian, English, or Arabic translation of the transcripts.
- The original high school diploma and bachelor’s degree or their equivalent and a certified Persian, English, or Arabic translation of the transcripts.
- One recently taken photo of the applicant, size 30x40mm.
- Applicant’s CV indicating education and work experience (optional).
By clicking on the “Apply now” button next to each program, you will be transferred to the registration portal, where you can upload and submit your application documents. Your application will not be complete until all the required items are submitted.